Page 128 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178 ... LastLast
Results 2,033 to 2,048 of 2886

Thread: Jays 2021/22 General Off-Season Discussion

  1. #2033
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    945
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Found elsewhere and expressed
    More eloquently than me-

    The purpose of election is chiefly, and in its purest sense, for the recipient. The fact that others have a rooting interest in the canonization is very secondary. Members should be admitted solely on their qualifications, and as such, can be disqualified; particularly for cheating. It's stat padding. Resume padding. Qualification padding. We celebrating the guy with the fake MD diploma? We shaking the hand of the non-military guy wearing the fake Army Rangers uniform stealing valour? We putting Ben Johnson in the track and field HOF now? Membership can not be disassociated from the actual member. jmho.

  2. #2034
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,673
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,358 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Found elsewhere and expressed
    More eloquently than me-

    The purpose of election is chiefly, and in its purest sense, for the recipient. The fact that others have a rooting interest in the canonization is very secondary. Members should be admitted solely on their qualifications, and as such, can be disqualified; particularly for cheating. It's stat padding. Resume padding. Qualification padding. We celebrating the guy with the fake MD diploma? We shaking the hand of the non-military guy wearing the fake Army Rangers uniform stealing valour? We putting Ben Johnson in the track and field HOF now? Membership can not be disassociated from the actual member. jmho.
    Precedent has already admitted cheaters to the Hall of Fame. The list is incredibly long. Keep trying. Whoever said that is full of shit trying to feel good about himself.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-26-2022)

  4. #2035
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    6,871
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Precedent has already admitted cheaters to the Hall of Fame. The list is incredibly long. Keep trying. Whoever said that is full of shit trying to feel good about himself.
    David Ortiz was caught using steroids for god sakes. He got in because members of the media like his personality. If this was based on performance on the baseball field and ethics then he would be nowhere close.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant77 For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (01-27-2022),Gen.Disarray (01-29-2022)

  6. #2036
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,673
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,358 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    David Ortiz was caught using steroids for god sakes. He got in because members of the media like his personality. If this was based on performance on the baseball field and ethics then he would be nowhere close.
    His only real knock is that he was DH for pretty much his whole career and while I can entertain and understand that argument to a point, there's no denying his actual numbers are worthy of induction.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-26-2022)

  8. #2037
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33,438
    Thanks
    5,760
    Thanked 19,596 Times in 11,384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    David Ortiz was caught using steroids for god sakes. He got in because members of the media like his personality. If this was based on performance on the baseball field and ethics then he would be nowhere close.
    I think he did enough on the field to warrant inclusion:

    - 500+ homeruns
    - 23rd all-time in RBI
    - career 140 wRC+
    - 3-time WS champion
    - I think he's first all-time in WAR accrued at DH, but it might be close with Thome/Thomas

    I'd also like to see nelson Cruz get in, and I think he will if he hangs on long enough to hit another 51 homeruns.

    My issue with this class is that there are more deserving players left out.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-26-2022),wilko (01-26-2022)

  10. #2038
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33,438
    Thanks
    5,760
    Thanked 19,596 Times in 11,384 Posts
    Also, apparently FG has decided to go from an annoying giant yellow banner to a giant yellow popup ad that has to be closed every time you load a new page. I hate everything about the way that site is managed.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    Captain Adama (01-26-2022),P2F (01-26-2022),Spanky99 (01-26-2022),wilko (01-26-2022)

  12. #2039
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    6,871
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    His only real knock is that he was DH for pretty much his whole career and while I can entertain and understand that argument to a point, there's no denying his actual numbers are worthy of induction.
    It's quite a stretch to say that his numbers are obviously Hall of Fame worthy. At best he's a very borderline case and to put a player like that in on the first ballot is as bad as the Harold Baines induction in my opinion.

    Consider Edgar Marrinez, who provided significantly more value (nearly 30% more), barely made it into the Hall of Fame. Contemporaries like Manny Ramirez, Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, and Andruw Jones were even higher than Martinez.

    Joey Votto passed Ortiz in WAR 5 years ago and people still consider him a borderline case. Similarly valuable players from his era are guys like Ian Kinsler, Andrew McCutchen, Matt Holliday and not other Hall of Famers.

    In fact, of 11 hitters that got more than 10% of the vote this year, David Ortiz placed 10th in WAR ahead of only Omar Vizquel. Bobby Abreu was also higher.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant77 For This Useful Post:

    Deadpool (01-27-2022)

  14. #2040
    MVP The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    10,149
    Thanks
    2,057
    Thanked 2,780 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Edgar Martinez had a higher WAR in less games 65.5 (2055 games) vs 51.0 (2408 games), and he had a higher wRC+ than Ortiz. It took him until his 10th and final year to get in.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cats Ass For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (01-26-2022),Deadpool (01-27-2022)

  16. #2041
    Hall of Famer Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,867
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Not sure what is worse, All Star Game voting or HOF voting
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (01-26-2022)

  18. #2042
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,673
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,358 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    It's quite a stretch to say that his numbers are obviously Hall of Fame worthy. At best he's a very borderline case and to put a player like that in on the first ballot is as bad as the Harold Baines induction in my opinion.

    Consider Edgar Marrinez, who provided significantly more value (nearly 30% more), barely made it into the Hall of Fame. Contemporaries like Manny Ramirez, Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, and Andruw Jones were even higher than Martinez.

    Joey Votto passed Ortiz in WAR 5 years ago and people still consider him a borderline case. Similarly valuable players from his era are guys like Ian Kinsler, Andrew McCutchen, Matt Holliday and not other Hall of Famers.

    In fact, of 11 hitters that got more than 10% of the vote this year, David Ortiz placed 10th in WAR ahead of only Omar Vizquel. Bobby Abreu was also higher.
    I think the argument there is that the voters were idiots when it came to Martinez, not that they got it wrong with Ortiz. Also, comparing the DH to position players is not apples to apples.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  19. #2043
    MVP The Cats Ass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sable Island
    Posts
    10,149
    Thanks
    2,057
    Thanked 2,780 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Not sure what is worse, All Star Game voting or HOF voting
    HOF voting without a doubt. ASG is for the fans, let the fans decide. It was a different story though when the ASG decided WS home field advantage.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Cats Ass For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-26-2022)

  21. #2044
    Mod | DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33,438
    Thanks
    5,760
    Thanked 19,596 Times in 11,384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cats Ass View Post
    Edgar Martinez had a higher WAR in less games 65.5 (2055 games) vs 51.0 (2408 games), and he had a higher wRC+ than Ortiz. It took him until his 10th and final year to get in.
    Edgar should have been inducted earlier. The voters held his lack of postseason games/success against him and rewarded Ortiz for his extensive postseason track record. I don't really think it's wrong to credit Ortiz for his playoff resume.

    I also think the voters had to overcome their aversion to inducting a DH. Now that they did, the floodgates might be open a bit. I'd like to see the same happen with relievers. Wagner should be in. Eventually Chapman, Jansen, and Kimbrel if they finish strong. Hader some day?

  22. #2045
    Orioles Hangout Asian Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    27,250
    Thanks
    3,445
    Thanked 12,108 Times in 7,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I think the argument there is that the voters were idiots when it came to Martinez, not that they got it wrong with Ortiz. Also, comparing the DH to position players is not apples to apples.
    You are well aware of why Grant is so opposed to Ortiz. If he was a lifelong Brewer, his induction wouldn't be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Wow, Albert Almora career MLB wRC+ = 105 and Jesse Winker has a 94 wRC+ in AAA this year.

  23. #2046
    Orioles Hangout Asian Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    27,250
    Thanks
    3,445
    Thanked 12,108 Times in 7,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Soo.. who is the brainlet/retard as you like to say??
    Still you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Wow, Albert Almora career MLB wRC+ = 105 and Jesse Winker has a 94 wRC+ in AAA this year.

  24. #2047
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,673
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,358 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    You are well aware of why Grant is so opposed to Ortiz. If he was a lifelong Brewer, his induction wouldn't be an issue.
    Maybe Delgado gets a chance now. Guy was railroaded off the ballot with a whimper when his numbers in many respects are very comparable to Ortiz. Better hitter on a rate basis but didn't have those extra 3 or 4 years at the end to push him higher.

    Didnt get the postseason success overall but when he did make the playoffs with the Mets, he hit very well.

    Just happened to be on the ballot when 1b/DH types weren't cool.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  25. #2048
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    82,971
    Thanks
    80,675
    Thanked 15,123 Times in 11,570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    So basically a large amount of writers just vote for guys they like on a personal level, regardless of their on-field accomplishments.
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •