Page 129 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 2,049 to 2,064 of 2886

Thread: Jays 2021/22 General Off-Season Discussion

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Maybe Delgado gets a chance now. Guy was railroaded off the ballot with a whimper when his numbers in many respects are very comparable to Ortiz. Better hitter on a rate basis but didn't have those extra 3 or 4 years at the end to push him higher.

Didnt get the postseason success overall but when he did make the playoffs with the Mets, he hit very well.

Just happened to be on the ballot when 1b/DH types weren't cool.
    2015 was his last year on the ballot, brainlet

Thanks
    Thanked 19,595 Times in 11,384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Veteran's committee

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Even objective thinkers have to see the difference in careers of Ortiz and Delgado were not represented in the HOF voting.
    I have been calling papi coasting in for years so have already developed a deep bitterness about it. I thought maybe they’d even be considered equal given Ortiz being a dh while Carlos played the field.
    Carlos voting class had 4 1st ballot hall of famers and 8 others that eventually got in.
    Makes my top 10 as I wouldn’t have thrown Lee smith a vote. If 9 of the 50 people who voted for the ghost of don mattingly gave those votes to Carlos, he stays above the 5pct line

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Veteran's committee
    Oops. My apologies. What a fucking idiot I sounded like!

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 11,556 Posts
    Also, apparently FG has decided to go from an annoying giant yellow banner to a giant yellow popup ad that has to be closed every time you load a new page. I hate everything about the way that site is managed.
    Very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight

Thanks
    Thanked 3,235 Times in 2,171 Posts
    After learning just how much of a massive POS he is I don’t feel so bad about him missing the hall.

Obviously he should be in based on his numbers alone but the HoF is clearly not just about numbers.

It is what it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,082 Times in 2,311 Posts
    If Bonds doesn't get in because of his character, that excludes 10-20% of the current MLB'ers from ever getting in the HOF.

It's a combination of his character and his being on the leading edge of PED use. It shouldn't matter anyway, and they should instead think about baseball mad kids 50 years from now at the HOF "Where is Barry Bonds?" "Where is Roger Clemens?"

Baseball executives and the writers need to get their heads out of their asses and do what's good for the game.
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-26-2022)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,427 Posts
    I think the argument there is that the voters were idiots when it came to Martinez, not that they got it wrong with Ortiz. Also, comparing the DH to position players is not apples to apples.
    I don't think it is. WAR accounts for positions and I don't agree that we should necessarily induct inferior players like Ortiz simply because their position is under represented. It's hardly a given that he would have provided more value if he had played at first base or another position.

Why do we hold defense against a better player like Manny Ramirez. Would he be first ballot if he were considered a DH instead?

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grant77 For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (01-26-2022),Carlos Danger (01-27-2022),Deadpool (01-27-2022),Gen.Disarray (01-29-2022),Spanky99 (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,417 Times in 2,780 Posts
    Found elsewhere and expressed
    More eloquently than me-

The purpose of election is chiefly, and in its purest sense, for the recipient. The fact that others have a rooting interest in the canonization is very secondary. Members should be admitted solely on their qualifications, and as such, can be disqualified; particularly for cheating. It's stat padding. Resume padding. Qualification padding. We celebrating the guy with the fake MD diploma? We shaking the hand of the non-military guy wearing the fake Army Rangers uniform stealing valour? We putting Ben Johnson in the track and field HOF now? Membership can not be disassociated from the actual member. jmho.
    What I struggle with is the reality that upwards of 75% of the league was also cheating....so it's not like the playing field was skewed significantly.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,105 Times in 7,605 Posts
    Am I allowed to point out how stupid this guy is?

He's responding to a post that explicitly states that Delgado isn't on the ballot. Then, unaware BTS states that the veteran's committee, WHICH IS A SEPARATE BODY with a very different process, can elect him, to which this fucking idiot responds by affirming that he is a fucking idiot, his words.

Congrats on making it to adulthood, bud. Glad all those guys who made fun of you for wearing a helmet on the bus didn't completely destroy your self esteem.
    Wow, Albert Almora career MLB wRC+ = 105 and Jesse Winker has a 94 wRC+ in AAA this year.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-27-2022),wilko (01-27-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post

He's responding to a post that explicitly states that Delgado isn't on the ballot. Then, unaware BTS states that the veteran's committee, WHICH IS A SEPARATE BODY with a very different process, can elect him, to which this fucking idiot responds by affirming that he is a fucking idiot, his words.

Congrats on making it to adulthood, bud. Glad all those guys who made fun of you for wearing a helmet on the bus didn't completely destroy your self esteem.
    Bwahahahaha... T-Rekt!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,082 Times in 2,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post

Dont care..... whats the fucking point, did it make you feel better to write this?
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

Thanks
    Were you guys reading Jays Journal? I was at that 4 Dinger game t'was great...

https://jaysjournal.com/2022/01/25/b...f-fame-voters/

Thanks
    Thanked 12,105 Times in 7,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Dont care..... whats the fucking point, did it make you feel better to write this?
    Does it make you feel better to sexually harass women?
    Wow, Albert Almora career MLB wRC+ = 105 and Jesse Winker has a 94 wRC+ in AAA this year.

Thanks
    Fight... fight... fight...